Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
An unusual dish from the River Road Recipes cookbook of the Baton Rouge Junior League
Make and share this Shrimp Stuffed Mirlitons (Chayote or Vegetable Pears) recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Parboil mirlitons/chayote/vegetable pears until almost tender.
- Cut in half and scoop out the meat; mash and set aside, reserving shells.
- Saute onion and garlic in shortening until translucent; add celery and cook until tender.
- Add mashed mirlitons, shrimp, 1/2 of the cheese, and salt and pepper to the sauteed vegetables.
- Fill the reserved shells, cover with remaining cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake until crumbs have browned, approximately 30 minutes.