Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
An unusual dish from the River Road Recipes cookbook of the Baton Rouge Junior League
- 4 large chayotes (mirlitons or vegetable pears)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3⁄4 lb fresh cooked shrimp, cleaned
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup buttered bread crumb
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Parboil mirlitons/chayote/vegetable pears until almost tender.
- Cut in half and scoop out the meat; mash and set aside, reserving shells.
- Saute onion and garlic in shortening until translucent; add celery and cook until tender.
- Add mashed mirlitons, shrimp, 1/2 of the cheese, and salt and pepper to the sauteed vegetables.
- Fill the reserved shells, cover with remaining cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake until crumbs have browned, approximately 30 minutes.