Recipe by MissGolightly
From the First Coast News website. I had farmer's market eggplants to use and didn't want to go to the store. I just happened to have everything this recipe needed on hand (and usually do) so I tried it. My boyfriend had a late meeting and I told him I'd throw something together so he didn't have to eat fast food. He was pleasantly surprised with this 'thrown together' meal!
- 2 large eggplants
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup chopped cooked shrimp
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Split eggplants in half and scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4 inch thick sides. Drop flesh in boiling water for 5 minutes, remove, drain in colander. Repeat with shells, remove and drain, set aside.
- Cook onion, garlic, green pepper and celery in half of the butter until tender. Add eggplant flesh, parsley, thyme, shrimp, salt and pepper, worcestershire and cayenne. Add eggs to above, cook 5 minutes.
- Fill shells with mixture, sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees. Melt remaining butter, pour over eggplants, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, serve hot.