Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
from Best of the Best California Cookbook, 2000, Quail Ridge Press. Editors Gwen McKee and Barbara Mosley chose the over 500 recipes in the book from more than 100 outstanding California cookbooks
- 4 large artichokes, washed and trimmed
- 1 lb cooked baby shrimp
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, more to taste
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Wash and trim artichokes.
- Steam over boiling water in a covered kettle for 30-40 minutes, or until tender when pierced.
- Turn them bottom up, place on paper towels and chill thoroughly.
- Carefully spread the center leaves of each artichoke open enough to expose the thistle-like choke.
- With a spoon, scoop and scrape the choke out, leaving the edible artichoke bottom intact.
- The artichoke should retain its shape with a hole in the center for the filling.
- Toss the shrimp with the parsley, dill or tarragon, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Blend the oil and mayonnaise together, add to the shrimp mixture and toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and additional lemon juice if necessary.
- Fill the artichokes with the mixture and serve.