In New Orleans a stuffed artichoke is a tradition. Garlic, cheese, olive oil, and bread crumbs, all stuffed in and around the leaves make for some really good bites to eat with cocktails. Add shrimp, crab or crawfish to send it over the top! In this recipe the leaves are removed and then topped with the delicious stuffing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb boiled shrimp, peeled
- 1 large fresh artichoke
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cups green onions, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup fresh garlic, very finely chopped (from about 3 heads garlic)
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, finely chopped, liquid reserved
- 2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup romano cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1Trim pointy leaves and stem from artichoke and place in microwaveable dish with 1' water in bottom.
- 2Cover and cook on high for 7-9 minutes, or until tender.
- 3Drain and let cool.
- 4Remove and refrigerate leaves.
- 5Chop heart and tender center of stem; refrigerate if prepared ahead.
- 6Heat together olive oil and butter in a very large skillet.
- 7Add onions, bell peppers, green onion and garlic; cook over high heat until clear and tender, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add canned artichokes, liquid from can, and reserved artichoke heart and stem.
- 8Thoroughly mix in bread crumbs, then cheeses. Remove from heat.
- 9Spoon about 1 heaping teaspoon stuffing onto bottom part of each artichoke leaf; use all stuffing.
- 10Sprinkle leaves lightly with paprika and top each with a shrimp; if needed, cut larger shrimp in half to have enough for all leaves.
- 11Serve on pretty platter.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Stuffed Artichoke
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 586.4
- Calories from Fat 331
- Total Fat 36.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 132.0 mg
- Sodium 1193.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 28.9 g