Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is based on Emeril's basic shrimp stock. Great stock to use for seafood stews. We eat so much shrimp that I always have tons of shrimp shells in my freezer.
- shrimp shells, from about 2 pounds of large shrimp
- 2 onions, halved
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 lemons, halved
- 8 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 quarts cold water
- Rinse shrimp shells in cold water and place in stock pot with all remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil on high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium and cook for 1/2 hour.
- Strain completely.
- If not using immediately, cool and refrigerate.
- Will keep for 30 days.
Very tasty. I used it in a clam chowder instead of clam juice and it turned out fantastic. Thank you.
I'm a freak for shrimp so this is really helpful! Great stock and very easy. AND it will keep 30 days.
Very good stock. I made this for the stock needed for Shrimp Diane Shrimp Diane by Hey Jude. My kitchen smelled scrumptous while it was cooking!