1/1 Photo of Shrimp Stock (2 Methods)
1 hr 15 mins
Great for Gumbos, Thai soups, seafood bisque... The fish heads have lots of flavor but if you can't handle it just use the shells from the body, you'll just have to use twice or triple the shrimp shells. I collect my shells and freeze till I have enough to make stock with.Go ahead and use crab and lobster shells if you want.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups uncooked shrimp, heads and shells (from about 1 pound large shrimp)
- 2 onions, peeled, halved and sliced
- 1 leek, sliced and rinsed well
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 lemons, halved
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 4 quarts water
- 1Rinse the shrimp heads and shells under cold water, and place them in a stockpot with the remaining ingredients.
- 2Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 3Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 45-60 minutes. Allow to cool thoroughly, strain and refrigerate or freeze.
- 4Alternative method:
- 5Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on stock pot. Add veggies and shells and caramelize about 5 minutes add remaining ingredients.
- 6Bring to a boil reduce heat to low.
- 7Simmer for 45-60 minutes.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Stock (2 Methods)
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 13.9
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 205.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 0.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: