Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love fried rice, and have experimented with how to make it for years until finally I came up with my own "secret" recipe that I'm now sharing with you. One secret to good fried rice is that the cooked rice has to be cold. It's best to prepare it the day before and refrigerate, but I've even gone so far as to chill it down in the freezer in a pinch.
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1 cup medium shrimp, cooked
- 1 ounce brown gravy mix
- 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 cooking spray
- 6 scallions, chopped with tops
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- Add boullion and rice to water and steam til done (15 min white rice or 50 min brown.)(Sometimes I substitute fat free chicken broth for part of the water and all the bouillon.) Refrigerate until chilled. I didn't include this step in the prep time.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray, add 1 tsp oil, and heat. Add chopped vegetables and saute until soft. Remove from pan.
- Wipe out pan with a paper towel, spray again with cooking spray, and cook the egg beaters in a scrambled fashion. Remove from pan.
- Wipe out pan again, spray with cooking spray, add remaining 1 tsp oil, and heat. Add chilled rice, about 1/2 of the package of brown gravy mix (dry, save the rest of the package for next time), and the garlic powder. Add shrimp mix together well. Add teriyaki. Heat thoroughly. Mix in the sauteed vegetables and scrambled eggs and serve hot.