Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from the Canadian Test Kitchen. This is a polynesian recipe.
- 1 lb frozen shrimp, thawed, peeled and deveined
- 1 (227 ml) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 16 square spring roll wrappers (15 cm)
- 1 egg, beaten
- vegetabie oil, for frying
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar, 3
- 2 tablespoons water, 2
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, julienned
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper, minced seeded
- 1 pinch salt
- Dipping Sauce: In small bowl, stir together vinegar, water, ginger, sugar, hot pepper and salt until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- On cutting board, cover shrimp with plastic wrap and, using bottom of saucepan, smash until flattened and broken up; transfer to bowl. Add water chestnuts, onion, cilantro, ginger, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Lay 1 spring roll wrapper on work surface with point up; shape 2 tbsp shrimp mixture into 3-inch (8 cm)long log across bottom third of wrapper. Roll up, folding in sides, until only 1-inch (2.5 cm) triangle of wrapper remains. Lightly coat triangle with egg; roll up. Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 2 hours.).
- In heavy-bottomed skillet, heat 1/2 inch (1 cm) oil over medium-high heat just until ripples appear; reduce heat to medium. Skimming oil between batches, fry spring rolls, turning and increasing heat if necessary, until golden and filling is pink in centre, 3 to 4 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towel–lined plate. Serve with Dipping Sauce.
YUM! I really loved these! I didn't really like the sauce much, but they would be awesome with some sweet chilli sauce! the spring rolls themselves were divine! And so easy! I will be making them again! Thanks for sharing! [Made for PRMR]