Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the Market in Tulsa. Time to make is just a guess.
Make and share this Shrimp Spring Rolls recipe from Food.com.
- 6 cups water
- 2 inches ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 lemons, halved and juiced
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions (green and white parts)
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (32 count)
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning
for the rolls
- 136 inches round rice paper sheets
- 2 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup shiitake mushroom, sliced
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 32 fresh mint leaves
- 21 sprigs fresh cilantro
- Combine 6 cups of water, ginger, lemons, lemon juice, soy sauce, sugar, bay leaves, green onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes in a large saucepan.
- Bring to boil.
- Season the shrimp with creole seasoning and place in the boiling water.
- Let cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and allow shrimp to steep in the boiling liquid.
- After 2 minutes, remove shrimp from the pan using tongs or a slotted spoon, and allow them to cool at room temperature.
- One cool enough to handle, cut the shrim in half lengthwise and reserve until ready to assemble the rolls.
- FOR THE ROLLS.
- Fill a large bowl with hot water.
- Place a clean kitchen towel next to the bowl.
- Submerge one rice paper wrapper in the water and soak until softened, about 1 minute.
- Carefully remove the rice paper from the water and lay it flat on the towel.
- In the center of the sheet, layer 2 tbs of the napa cabbage, 5 or 6 mushrooms, 2 tbs grated carrots, 4 shrimp halves arranged side by side in a row.
- Place 2 mint leaves and 2 cilantro sprigs over the shrimp and fold the bottom of the wrapper over the filling.
- Fold both sides inward over the filling, then roll up in egg roll fashion.
- Place seam side down on a plate and repeat process with the remaining rice papers and filling ingredients.
- Once all wrappers have been assembled, cut each spring roll in half on the bias, so that you have 32 pieces.
- Place the spring rolls on a platter and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Perhaps I did not execute well. The expense and assembly time of the shrimp boil did not seem worth it. I felt the flavor was bland for the effort.
WOW!! My husband and I are real ethnic food junkies but unfortunately live in a VERY rural area, so satisifying our craving for sushi, spring rolls, well pretty much anything of that nature, is out of the question. I highly recommend this recipe to anyone. I used the Thai Dipping Sauce for Spring Wrap or Egg Rolls Thai Dipping Sauce for Spring Wrap or Egg Rolls, great combo! Thanks nanunanu