Recipe by Kozmic Blues
This is a variation of a recipe I saw made on Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals. I had gotten a package of vegetarian chorizo at the store, and was dying to try it in something. This particular brand of soy-rizo (Frieda's) was more like ground sausage rather than an actual link of chorizo that you can slice, BUT I think it worked really well in this. Meat eaters, simply substitute 1/2 lb of chorizo instead
- 1 (12 ounce) package soy chorizo, or (I used Frieda's brand)
- 1⁄2 lb chorizo sausage, sliced thin on an angle
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (12 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Brown chorizo 2 to 3 minutes, then remove from pan. The soyrizo takes much less time to heat through.
- Add oil, garlic, then shrimp.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper and cook shrimp until pink, 2 or 3 minutes.
- Transfer shrimp to a cutting board and coarsely chop.
- Spray pan with non stick cooking spray and add a large tortilla.
- Cook tortilla 30 seconds, then turn.
- Cover 1/2 of the tortilla with a couple of handfuls of cheese.
- Arrange a layer of soyrizo and shrimp over the cheese and fold tortilla over.
- Press down gently with a spatula and cook tortilla a minute or so on each side to melt cheese and crisp.
- Remove quesadilla to large cutting board and repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Cut each quesadilla into 5 wedges and transfer to plates with your spatula.
- Top wedges of quesadillas with guacamole, sour cream or salsa.