Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 min
I've been working with a Danish cookbook, and I can tell you that Danish food is all about dairy products and seafood. Delicious and undeservedly overlooked. I think Danes consider smorrebrod the national dish of Denmark.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs medium shrimp, cooked and drained (38 to 40 count)
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream, chilled
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- white pepper
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 slices rye bread
- 8 leaves soft lettuce
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons capers
- Shell the shrimp and set aside.
- Whip the cream until it holds soft peaks. Whisk in sour cream, horseradish and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pit and slice the avocadoes and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Spread the butter evenly on each slice of bread, going all the way to the edges. (Butter prevents the filling from making the bread soggy.) Arrange shrimp, avocado and onion over the bread, then top with a spoonful of horseradish sauce. Add a few capers.