Recipe by Chocolatl
Adapted from Morey Amsterdam's Benny Cooker Crock Book. Although the title comes from a joke from Amsterdam's night club act, the recipes are all genuine. Prep time is marinating time.
Top Review by La Dilettante
Very, very tasty! I had my doubts about using whiskey, but took the plunge, and wow! Changes I made: vegetable stock instead of chicken stock, and grated fresh ginger instead of powdered. Other than that, I did it according to instructions. I didn't have cherry tomatoes, so will serve it tonight with chopped Romas, steamed broccoli, and basmati rice. I will definitely make this again!
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup rye whiskey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 2 lbs shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup green peas
- 8 water chestnuts, sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine soy sauce, whiskey, ginger, garlic, sugar and stock in a large bowl.
- Add shrimp and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Drain shrimp, reserving marinade.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat.
- Add shrimp and stir-fry 2-3 minutes.
- Add peas and stir-fry 1 minute.
- Add water chestnuts and stir-fry 1 minute.
- Remove shrimp and keep warm. (Leave the vegetables in the pan.).
- Mix cornstarch with enough cold water to form a thin paste.
- Stir into marinade.
- Pour marinade mixture into pan with the vegetables.
- Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes, or until sauce has thickened and become glossy.
- Pour sauce over shrimp.
- Serve with rice and cherry tomatoes.