Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 mins
From the Today Show.
- 3 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, freshly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup basil, freshly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 2 freshly squeezed lemons, juice of
- salt and pepper
- aluminum foil, pouch
- Preheat grill to medium heat and leave covered.
- Mix soft butter in a bowl with all ingredients except shrimp. Set aside.
- Make Foil Pouch.
- Smear butter in the center of the rectangle, arrange half of shrimp in a single layer and distribute a little more butter over top of shrimp.
- Place foil packages in center of grill, cover grill and cook for 6 to 7 minutes, or until pouches have puffed up.
- Serve immediately. Slice pouches open, spoon scampi onto a plate or serve right in pouch.
I was really expecting to love this recipe, but it was lacking. It really didn't have much flavor. It was like...boiled in butter shrimp. The herbs never came through. I had plenty of leftovers the next day which I added lots of pepper and tabasco and served over a salad and it was much better. I may try this again minus the pouch and grill it instead.
I made this exactly as posted, and they were pretty tasty. I only had 1 lb. of shrimp, so I reduced the other ingredients appropriately. This was an easy way to make surf 'n turf on the grill will no mess! Thanks for sharing. Made for Spring PAC 2013.