Recipe by Alan in SW Florida
Here's a fast, easy, and elegant appetizer or main course....especially if you make the flavored butter in advance (you can make the butter upto a week ahead and refrigerate until ready to use.) Serve along with a nice white wine and some good crusty bread for dipping in the garlic butter. Be ready for raves!!!!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 3 large garlic cloves, very finely chopped (please, only use fresh garlic. You can use a little more, if desired)
- 2 teaspoons chopped flat leaf parsley (Italian parsley)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leave
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 lbs large shrimp, shelled and deveined, tails left on
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (Italian parsley)
- 1 tablespoon thinly-sliced fresh basil leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix the butter with the chopped garlic, 2 teaspoons of the chopped parsley, the lemon zest, lemon juice, and chopped thyme leaves, and season with salt and pepper to taste. (Please, don't over-season with the salt and pepper -- start with just a pinch of each and add more, if desired.).
- In a large gratin dish (or a pretty, shallow oven-proof casserole -- if you don't have a gratin dish), arrange the shrimp, tails up, in a circular pattern. dot the shrimp with the flavored butter and roast for about 10 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and the butter is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the shrimp with the remaining 1 tablespoon of parsley and the basil leaves. Serve hot and don't forget to have some crusty bread.