I got this recipe from Real Simple magazine. I am posting the recipe as published, but when I made it I used Turkey Sausage and Brown Rice. So good DH was checking the skillet for more after we were done!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces andouille sausages, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 12 saffron threads
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 3⁄4 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄3 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro (optional)
- Heat the oil in a wok or large saucepan over med high heat.
- Add sausage and brown about 5 minutes total.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the onion.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Spoon off most of the fat.
- Add wine and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, saffron, and rice and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir the shrimp and peas into the rice, cover, cook for another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with the fresh cilantro.