Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A Louisiana classic!
- 1 (3 lb) fryer
- 1 lb hot smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups long grain rice, washed & rinsed 3 times
- 3 lbs raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
- In a large pot, cover chicken with water and boil until tender, about 1 hour.
- Reserve stock - Discard skin and bones, cut meat into small pieces and set aside.
- In a heavy 4 quart pot, saute sausage - remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Pour off drippings, add oil to pot and saute green pepper, garlic, parsley, celery and onions 5 minutes.
- Chop tomatoes and reserve liquid.
- Add tomatoes with liquid, broth and green onions.
- Stir in tomato paste, spices and seasonings.
- Stir in rice.
- Add sausage and chicken, cover and cook 30-45 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- After most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice, add shrimp and cook until shrimp are pink, 5-10 minutes.
- May be made ahead and reheated before serving - Freezes well.