1/1 Photo of Shrimp Sauce Piquant
1 hr 10 mins
This Paul Prudhomme recipe (that I found on the internet somewhere) is only for the true chile head- but if you are one (like me) it just doesn't get any better than this. He mentions in his notes that the amount of jalapeno in the recipe can be halved for a lower heat level, but if you are worried about that, this recipe is definitely not for you. OOOH, it hurts so good !!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced jalapenos (can be jarred, but soak first to remove vinegar)
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 1/2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 1/4 cups fish stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs peeled raw large shrimp
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- 1Melt the butter in a 4-quart non-stick saucepan over high heat; add the onions, bell pepper, and celery and saute for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, jalapeno, bay leaves, ground peppers, and garlic, stirring well; cook about 3 minutes and stir often.
- 3Stir in the stock, sugar and salt and bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat and simmer until flavors are married, about 20 minutes, stirring often.
- 5Turn the heat up to high, and when the sauce is boiling, remove from heat.
- 6Add in the shrimp, push them down in the sauce, cover the pan and let sit for 10 minutes.
- 7Remove bay leaves.
- 8To serve, mound 1/2 cup cooked rice in the center of each serving bowl, then pour about 1/2 cup sauce around the rice and arrange 8 shrimp on the top of the sauce.
- 9Serve with a cool beverage of your choice-- you'll need it!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Sauce Piquant
Serving Size: 1 (462 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 336.4
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 181.0 mg
- Sodium 663.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 28.8 g