Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great for those who love shrimp soup. Found in Penzeys Winter 2007 Catalog.
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups water
- 1 lb medium cooked shrimp, shelled and deveined, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 teaspoons seafood soup base
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 banana pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, stems removed
- 1 teaspoon turkish oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups cooked rice (optional)
- Pour the canned tomatoes, along with their juice, tomato sauce and water into a soup pot, bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add seafood base.
- Remove the cores and seeds from the peppers and chop them and the onion.
- Place in a blender or food processor with the cilantro, oregano and cumin.
- Pulse until finely pureed.
- Add to the soup, stir to blend, then taste.
- Add the cooked shrimp to the soup, warm 5-10 minutes on low.
- Whisk in sour cream and sugar.
- To serve, place a spoonful of cooked rice in each bowl and top with hot soup. If the rice was refrigerated, let it come to room temperature while the soup is cooking.