Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Wonderful salad for summer! Please note: this is an adopted recipe and I hope to make it soonest. If you make it before I do than I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks ! ZWT REGION: Austrialia
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 24 large cooked peeled shrimp (1 pound)
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 scallion, white and green parts, sliced
- 12 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon diced red onion
- Whisk together olive oil and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside. Whisk again just before using.
- Combine shrimp, avocado, celery, scallion, tomatoes, parsley and red onion.
- Sprinkle with enough dressing to coat lightly.
- Toss shrimp salad gently, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
I loved that this salad had a light, lemony taste and not bogged down by heavy mayonnaise. I used extra-large shrimp. I think the bigger the shrimp, the better for this salad. This is a great alternative to lettuce-based salads, although this would be great served on a bed of green or lettuce. Thanx for sharing!
These chosen ingredients are fabulous together (color and taste-wise) but this recipe needed much much more salt, pepper and lemon juice to make the flavors come out. I used fresh everything for the ingredients. I am pretty sensitive to too-salty foods so I was surprised that I needed to use more than 2 tablespoons of Krazy lemon salt to give all the ingredients the normal level of flavor. I would definitely make this again but with some adjustments to the lemon, salt and pepper measurements.
*edit June 15, 2007 - I initially gave this recipe a four star rating. Since then I've found myself telling people about it and having cravings for it. That tells me I totally underrated it the first time. This was a very good salad and will definitely be making again. I had a large group to feed so added 6 cups of baby spring greens and used small shrimp instead of large. I did add 1 Tbsp more lemon juice to the dressing but it wasn't quite enough for our tastes. We like a bit more of a bite, so next time I think I'll add 3 Tbsp of lemon juice plus some dijon mustard and a dash or two of hot sauce. Maybe even a wee bit of minced garlic too.