Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Cook the shrimp in advance and chill.
- 1 lb extra-large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed (21-25 per lb.)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice (plus 1 tbsp., spent lemon halves reserved)
- 5 sprigs fresh fresh parsley leaves, plus
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh tarragon leaves, plus
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn, plus f
- reshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- table salt
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 small celery, minced
- Combine shrimp, 1/4 cup lemon juice, reserved lemon halves, parsley sprigs, tarragon sprigs, whole peppercorns, sugar, and 1 teaspoons salt with 2 cups cold water in medium sauce pan. Place saucepan over medium heat and cook shrimp, stirring several times, until pink, firm to touch, and centers are no longer translucent, 8-10 minutes (water should be just bubbling around edge of pan and register 165 on instant read thermometer). Remove pan from heat, cover and let shrimp in broth for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill medium bowl with ice water. Drain shrimp into colander, discard lemon halves, herbs, and spices. Immediately transfer shrimp to ice water to stop cooking and chill thoroughly, about 3 minutes. Remove shrimp from ice water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, shallot, celery, remaining tablespoon lemon juice, minced parsley, and minced tarragon in medium bowl. Cut shrimp to half lengthwise and then each half into thirds; add shrimp to mayonnaise mixture and toss to combine. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve chilled.