Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
Perfect for a luncheon or brunch or just for something different for your lunch.
- 3 lbs small shrimp
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 6 tablespoons capers
- 3 lemons, zest of, grated
- 6 -8 tablespoons mayonnaise, can use homemade mayo
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 3⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 6 pita bread rounds
- 12 leaves boston lettuce
- 1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch green onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- hot sauce
- Bring enough water to cover shrimp to a boil.
- Add shrimp and 2 tsps salt and boil for 4 to 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink ~ do not overcook or shrimp will turn rubbery.
- Immediately plunge the shrimp into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Let stand until cool; drain, and devein the shrimp and then place in a bowl.
- Add the capers, lemon zest and mayo to shrimp and mix well.
- Stir in dill weed, 3/4 tsp salt and pepper.
- Chill, covered, until serving time.
- To serve, cut pitas in half to form pockets.
- Line pita with lettuce leaf and fill with shrimp salad.
- Top each with cucumber, bell pepper, green onions, celery and a splash of hot sauce.