Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I got this from the Barefoot Contessa's book "Parties!" and i use it alot. It is a big hit and easy to make. The time does not include the chilling time as this can be made the night before or earlier in the day.
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt, plus
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters
- 4 lbs large shrimp, in the shell (16 to 20 shrimp per pound)
- 2 cups good mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine or 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1 cup minced red onion (1 onion)
- 3 cups minced celery (6 stalks)
- Bring 5 quarts of water, 3 tablespoons salt, and the lemon to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Add half the shrimp and reduce the heat to medium.
- Cook uncovered for only 3 minutes or until the shrimp are barely cooked through.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl of cold water.
- Bring the water back to a boil and repeat with the remaining shrimp.
- Let cool; then peel, and devein the shrimp.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, wine or vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and dill.
- Combine with the peeled shrimp.
- Add the red onion and celery and check the seasonings.
- Serve or cover and refrigerate for a few hours.
The fresh dill really makes this recipe. I scaled the recipe way back to only 1/4 lb. shrimp and it turned out great.
Cool, creamy and tasty. I cut the recipe amount in half and use 2 pounds of precooked large shrimp. This is best when allowed to chill for a couple of hours. It's great on a bed of lettuce with fresh garden tomatoes. Thanx!
Excellent! Loved it!