Recipe by Annacia
This salad has the makings of an elegant meal and deserves to be included on a special celebration menu. The flavors of asparagus and shrimp flourish with the addition of a balsamic vinaigrette. Cook time is chill time.
Top Review by JanuaryBride
Definitely a different combo of ingredients, but it somehow works. I think next time I will eliminate the pears and mustard. Will then add possibly pine nuts and some cheese. Thanks for a healthy dinner!
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, pieces (not oil-packed)
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons dijon-style mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces shrimp (fresh or frozen, peeled and deveined)
- 4 cups water
- 1 garlic clove
- 8 ounces asparagus, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 6 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 2 medium pears, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl pour boiling water over tomato pieces to cover; let stand for 2 minutes.
- For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine tomato pieces, vinegar, the olive oil, basil, mustard, the 2 cloves garlic, sugar, and pepper.
- Cover and shake well.
- If desired, cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen.
- In a large saucepan bring the water and the 1 clove garlic to boiling; add asparagus. Return to boiling.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes.
- Add shrimp.
- Return to boiling.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 3 minutes more or until shrimp are opaque.
- Drain, discarding garlic.
- Rinse shrimp under cold running water; drain well.
- Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- To serve, divide greens and pears among 4 salad plates.
- Top each with some of the shrimp and asparagus.
- Shake dressing; drizzle each serving with about 2 tablespoons of the dressing.