Recipe by conniecooks
The Jamaicans serve this when their budget is rundown, since shrimp is cheap on their island. My husband's friend, a Jamaican-born chef, gave me this recipe. It is awesome.
Top Review by Hathor7
I just made this tonight and it was delicious. I made some alterations
I used coconut water vs regular water. I used Coconut Milk with just a splash of Coconut Cream as I did not want a really sweet dish.
The family loved it.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch dried scotch bonnet pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder (Montenegro)
- 1⁄2 cup pure coconut cream
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 lb tomatoes, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1 lb shrimp, cleaned
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium high heat. Add Onion, garlic, and scotch bonnet pepper. Sauté 3 minutes until softened.
- Add curry, coconut cream, water tomatoes, salt & pepper.
- Melt cream and continue to cook uncovered about 15 min or until slightly thickened.
- Add shrimp and simmer until they are cooked about 2 -5 minutes.
- Check seasoning for salt & pepper.