Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The Jamaicans serve this when their budget is rundown, since shrimp is cheap on their island. My husband's friend, a Jamaican-born chef, gave me this recipe. It is awesome.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch dried scotch bonnet pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder (Montenegro)
- 1⁄2 cup pure coconut cream
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 lb tomatoes, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1 lb shrimp, cleaned
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium high heat. Add Onion, garlic, and scotch bonnet pepper. Sauté 3 minutes until softened.
- Add curry, coconut cream, water tomatoes, salt & pepper.
- Melt cream and continue to cook uncovered about 15 min or until slightly thickened.
- Add shrimp and simmer until they are cooked about 2 -5 minutes.
- Check seasoning for salt & pepper.
I just made this tonight and it was delicious. I made some alterations
I used coconut water vs regular water. I used Coconut Milk with just a splash of Coconut Cream as I did not want a really sweet dish.
The family loved it.
I tried this recipe because I love the Rundown soup at Rundown Cafe in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina on the Outer Banks. I added a small sweet potato, sliced (nuked it a little first to soften it up), and a half a cup of heavy cream I had sitting in the fridge to make it creamier and stretch the liquid a little since I'd added the potato. No scotch bonnet so used ground cayenne, otherwise pretty much as directed. Was sweeter than I expected, so next time maybe I'll try it with coconut milk instead of cream? Anyway, GOOD and makes just enough.
My my my... This was delicious! DH couldn't leave the pot alone when I was preparing it! I have to admit, I sampled a few spoonfuls myself. Great flavor and we served it with some brown rice for a nice filling dinner!