Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 mins
Easy preparation is essential when entertaining guests, and this shrimp appetizer is a breeze to make for your Labor Day party. The shrimp packs in protein, the carrots offer a healthy bonus of vitamin A and the spicy dipping sauce gives an added kick. From Shape Magazine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1⁄3 cup rice wine or 1⁄3 cup sake
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 6 limes, juice of (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup artificial sweetener, Splenda Granulated
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce, light
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic, fresh & minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 heads boston lettuce or 2 heads butterhead lettuce
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and finely grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄3 lb rice noodles, softened in boiling water and drained thoroughly
- In a bowl, toss shrimp with ginger, wine and oil. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 20 minutes.
- For dressing:.
- Mix lime juice, sugar, Splenda, soy sauce, garlic and pepper flakes in a bowl; set aside. Core lettuce and separate leaves; rinse and dry them. Cook shrimp with its marinade in a medium pan or wok over medium-high heat, turning shrimp until opaque, 2 or 3 minutes.
- To make wraps:.
- Place 3 shrimp inside each lettuce leaf along with 2 or 3 basil leaves, 1 tbsp carrots and a small handful of noodles and roll up. Divide dressing among 4 small dishes for dipping.