Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This dish is delightful! We enjoyed it immensely! Found in Bon Appetit, April 2007. I don't personally like basil so I subbed parsley intead. We enjoyed the dish in spite of that!
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature, divided
- 1 lb uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 4 large shallots, chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice or 1 cup medium-grain white rice
- 3⁄4 cup riesling wine or 3⁄4 cup other white wine
- 2 1⁄2 cups clam juice
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp; sprinkle with salt, crushed red pepper flakes, & pepper.
- Sauté until almost opaque in center, about 3 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and shallots to same pan.
- Sauté 3 minutes.
- Add rice; stir 1 minute.
- Add wine.
- Stir until wine is absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Add clam juice and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer until rice is tender and risotto is creamy, stirring often, about 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend remaining 2 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon basil , and tarragon in small bowl.
- Season herb butter to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix shrimp, any accumulated juices, and 1 tablespoon basil into risotto.
- Simmer 2 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Spoon risotto into shallow bowls.
- Swirl some herb butter into top of each.
- Serve, passing cheese separately.
Excellent recipe! One thing - I didn't find the mixture particularly creamy (see step 12) despite using perhaps 1/2 tsp more butter than the recipe prescribed. Most risottos I have had were creamier than this one. Nonetheless, the taste did not suffer! Finally, I substituted fish stock for clam juice.