8 hrs 6 mins
From Good Housekeeping. Triple-tested at the Good Housekeeping Research Institute. Rillettes are a rich, pâté-like spread served cold as an appetizer on bread or toast. NOTE: To do ahead, freeze rillettes in jars or ramekins up to three weeks before giving as gifts. Make sure to place jars in freezer-weight plastic storage bags, or wrap ramekins well in foil before freezing. Thaw in refrigerator overnight. Include a French baguette or assorted crackers with the rillettes for serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons butter (salted or unsalted, at room temperature, no substitutions!)
- 1 lb shelled and deveined raw shrimp
- 2 tablespoons brandy (or dry sherry)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- French baguette (optional)
- assorted cracker (optional)
- 1In 10-inch skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter on medium-high until melted.
- 2Add shrimp and cook 2 minutes, or until shrimp turn opaque throughout, stirring frequently.
- 3Add brandy and cook 30 seconds.
- 4Transfer shrimp mixture to food processor with knife blade attached; pulse until finely chopped.
- 5To shrimp mixture in processor, add ground red pepper, lemon juice, remaining 4 tablespoons butter, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; pulse until evenly blended.
- 6Transfer shrimp mixture to 3 small jars (for gift giving) and cover with plastic wrap, pressing plastic wrap directly onto surface of shrimp mixture.
- 7Refrigerate at least 8 hours to blend flavors or up to 3 days.
- 8Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature before serving.
- 9NOTE: To do ahead, freeze rillettes in jars or ramekins up to three weeks before giving. Make sure to place jars in freezer-weight plastic storage bags, or wrap ramekins well in foil before freezing. Thaw in refrigerator overnight. Include a French baguette or assorted crackers with the rillettes for serving.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Rillettes
Serving Size: 1 (36 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 56.8
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 42.0 mg
- Sodium 192.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 3.4 g