2 hrs 20 mins
1 hr 20 mins
A South American recipe from http://laylita.com. "Arroz con camarones or shrimp rice is a classic Ecuadorian and South American dish from the coastal areas consisting of rice cooked in a shrimp broth and mixed with shrimp, sautéed onions, peppers, tomatoes, garlic, cumin, achiote and parsley." Notice that you leave the shells on the shrimp for first three steps. I did increase the water needed to cook the rice as suggested by first reviewer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs raw shrimp, shells on, deveined
- 2 teaspoons cumin, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and seeded, diced
- 3 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped, plus more to garnish
- 1 teaspoon achiote powder
- 1/2 cup white wine
- salt and pepper
- 1Marinate the shrimp with salt, pepper, 1 tsp of cumin, and the crushed garlic, let rest for an hour.
- 2Bring water to boil in a large pot, add the shrimp and boil for about 2 minutes.
- 3Remove the shrimp from the water and reserve 3 ½ cups of the water they cooked in to prepare the rice (add more water if needed).
- 4Remove the shells and tails from the shrimp; leave the tails on a few of the shrimp that will be used as a garnish.
- 5Chop the shrimp that are not being used for the garnish.
- 6Heat the oil in a large saucepan or pot, add the minced garlic, cook for about 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- 7Add the rice to the garlic and oil, mix well until the rice is coated with oil.
- 8Add the 2 ½ cups of water that was used to boil the shrimp.
- 9Bring to boil and reduce heat to low.
- 10In the meantime, melt the butter over medium heat in a large sauté pan; add the onions, peppers, tomatoes, parsley, ground achiote, salt, pepper, and remaining 1 tsp of cumin.
- 11Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- 12Add the white wine to the vegetable mix and continue cooking for another 5 minutes, until the onions and peppers are tender.
- 13Mix in the sautéed vegetables and chopped shrimp with the rice, which should still be cooking, and cook on low heat until the rice is tender.
- 14Add the remaining shrimp during the last minutes and mix well.
- 15Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- 16Sprinkle with chopped parsley and garnish with shrimp with tails on.
- 17Serve with avocado slices, tomato and onion curtido salad, lime slices, and of course some good aji or hot sauce.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Rice
Serving Size: 1 (333 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 797.1
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 368.5 mg
- Sodium 409.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 54.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: