I have been making these for years - ever since I moved to FL where shrimp is so affordable. They are light and creamy. Wonton wrappers make this easy to make and the creamy sauce is a quick 10 minutes on the stove. I often make these ahead and freeze ... then when I need them, just pop them in some boiling water, heat up my sauce, and dinner is ready. Serve with a traditional crisp salad (I happen to like a grilled romaine salad) and then of course some crusty garlic bread. A nice twist to the traditional cheese or beef ravioli.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (10 ounce) package wonton wrappers (you want approximately 40-48 wrappers)
- 1 lb large shrimp (cooked and diced fine)
- 1/2 lb ricotta cheese (1 cup, if you like it a bit creamier, you can add more ricotta)
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs (medium sized, or 2 large or extra large eggs)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter (to saute the shrimp)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (I happen to like San Marzano, or any good quality crushed or pureed tomatoes)
- 2/3 cup vodka
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 small onion, fine chopped
- 3 tablespoons roasted red peppers, fine chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, fine chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1Sauce -- Make the sauce first and set to the side. In a medium size pot, add the butter and melt on medium heat, then add in the onion, garlic, roasted red pepper and red pepper flakes and cook until the onions are tender and translucent. Should take about 5 minutes. Then add in the vodka and cook another minute, followed by the tomatoes, heavy cream, parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Just simmer for another five minutes and it is done. This can be done in advance and just heated up, or made at the time you plan to serve the ravioli. It freezes well and will stay 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
- 2Shrimp Filling -- Now I like to get my shrimp steamed right at the grocery store to save time. You can also buy pre-cooked shrimp, which I don't like as much, but they certainly will work for this dish just fine.
- 3The shrimp needs to be very fine chopped which you can do by hand, or if you are me, I just add it to my food processor to get a coarse chop which is so much easier.
- 4Then add the shrimp to a large bowl with the ricotta, parmesan, eggs, garlic, parsley, nutmeg, salt and pepper and mix well.
- 5Ravioli -- Lay out the ravioli and put a small spoon of the filling on top of each ravioli in the center. With you finger or a small brush, brush the edges of the wonton with a little water and then top with the second wonton, and press the sides together and around the center filling so there is no air and the wonton and it is sealed tight. Lay them all out of a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper to dry slightly. Now they are ready for cooking. If you want, rather than making a square ravioli, you can easily put the filling on the bottom ravioli and fold over corner to corner to make a triangle. This method will work just as well and will give you about 40 plus triangle shaped ravioli. Either way works just as good as the other.
- 6Cook them right away, or you can freeze them right on the sheet and bag them up and freeze for later. NOTE: If you have any left over filling, add some onions, peppers and make a quesadilla or a grilled shrimp sandwich.
- 7Cook -- In a pot of salted medium boiling water, add the ravioli and cook 3-4 minutes. When they float, they are done. Remember the filling is already cooked, so you are just heating them through. They don't take long.
- 8Serve -- Just top the ravioli with your sauce, some fresh basil and grated parmesan cheese. And ENJOY!
- 9Don't forget the salad and crusty garlic bread!
Browse Our Top Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Ravioli With a Tomato Vodka Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 438.0
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 206.5 mg
- Sodium 840.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 19.9 g