Recipe by Tish
For the holidays, this recipe is a life saver. You can pull this appetizer out of the freezer and have ready for guests quickly. You can also use frozen or canned crabmeat!
Top Review by Sweet Baboo
I made these before Christmas, and in the crush forgot to write a review...some oversight, because they saved my bacon by by being a secret weapon hibernating in the freezer. What with illness and snowstorms (typical Canadian situation) I had no time or energy to whip up a delicacy for a pot luck, and had almost decided not to go for that reason, and then remembered that these beauties were waiting in the freezer for just such a purpose. They are delicious, and I had an empty plate to take home. I used havarti cheese (which was great), but next time I will try the gruyere variation. Thanks so much for submitting!
- 6 slices firm white bread (Pepperidge Farm is good)
- 1 lb uncooked frozen shrimp, deveined and shelled
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups gruyere cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups havarti cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon lemon, zest of
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 dash pepper
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300°F Using small cookie cutter, cut out four rounds from each slice of bread.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake in oven for 10-15 minutes or until bread is crisp and dry, turning bread rounds over once halfway through baking time.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Heat butter and olive oil in heavy skillet and cook garlic and shrimp just until shrimp curl and turn pink.
- Remove from heat and set aside for 10-15 minutes to cool slightly.
- In large bowl, combine cheese, lemon zest, dill, mayonnaise, and pepper.
- Finely chop shrimp and add to cheese mixture.
- Top bread rounds with shrimp mixture, mounding and smoothing the shrimp.
- Freeze in single layer on baking sheet, then store in freezer container in single layer.
- When ready to eat, bake puffs, frozen, in preheated 400F oven for 10-13 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
- You can also bake the puffs without freezing them, in a 400F oven for 8-9 minutes.