Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I came up with this recipe a few days ago when I wanted to make a shrimp salad that did not have pasta or salad greens in it. I added things as I went along. The olives add a unique taste to the salad. The recipe calls for pickle juice even though it does not contain any pickles. If you don't have pickle juice, just add more olive juice. This salad tastes better if it is refrigerated for several hours or overnight. Since both olive and pickle juices have a lot of salt in them, there is no salt listed in the ingredients list. This can be served as a meal or as an appetizer at a party. Cook time is refrigeration time and is the minimal time it should be refrigerated for best flavor.
- 3⁄4 lb cooked and peeled large shrimp or 3⁄4 lb prawns
- 1⁄4 cup black olives
- 1⁄4 cup green olives
- 2 tablespoons red pimientos, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion (scallions)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped (remove yolks if desired)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄2 cup Miracle Whip
- 1 tablespoon olive juice
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice or 1 tablespoon olive juice
- Remove tails from prawns or shrimp and cut each one in half or thirds, depending on the size.
- Add the olives, onions and eggs.
- Mix the Mayonnaise, pickle juice and olive juice together in a cup or small bowl.
- Stir the Mayonnaise mixture into the prawn/shrimp mixture and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
- Serve with crackers.
What a great, great, great, recipe for a hot, hot, hot summer day! I followed this exactly, only cutting down on the mayo by 2 tablespoons less, personal preference. This is just so lovely! Thanks for posting!
Definitely guest-worthy. Would make a wonderful cold picnic dish! Thanks for posting this terrific recipe! Changes I made--used chopped red bell pepper and slice the hard boiled egg on the side, since I marinated the salad for 24 hours. Made for CameraLess Chef 07.