Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from a friend who's mother in law had a similar dish at a restaurant in Miami. She said it was the best potato salad she ever ate! So I had to try it, I tweaked it a bit to my taste. Hope you like!
- 2 lbs jumbo raw shrimp, peeled deveined, and cut in half
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and diced into chunks
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced thin on an angle
- 1⁄2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 cups good quality mayonnaise (or more depending how you like it)
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper, keep chilled until ready to cook.
- In small bowl, make vinaigrette. Add olive oil, red onion, vinegar, sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine, let marinate for about 1/2 hour on counter if longer refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place potatoes in large pot of salted cold water on med/high heat. Cook stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes or until fork tender. Add the carrots and cook another 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain and return to hot pot where they were cooking. Set aside.
- In large saute pan on medium heat, add 2 tbs. olive oil, add garlic and shrimp. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn a bright pinkish color stirring constantly. Remove from heat transfer to bowl to avoid overcooking shrimp.
- Add shrimp, vinaigrette, and mayo to potatoes and carrots. Mix well and taste for seasoning. If needed add more salt and pepper.