I love rice paper rolls - they are so versatile- You can make them vegetarian, with chicken, clean the fridge. Serve them as appetizers or as a side dish or entre depending on the size and filling. This recipe is Thai oriented. The Hoisin/peanut sauce is perfect with them. Serve as an appetizer or first course. You may also make these in the smaller size rice paper wraps to serve as finger food. The rolls should be made and served within a short time - if I am leaving them for more than an hour I cover them lightly with a slightly damp cloth and place them in the fridge.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb medium shrimp, shelled,deveined,cooked & cut in half
- 1/2 lb pork loin, cooked thin sliced (like stir fry)
- 8 ounces rice noodles
- 1 bunch fresh basil, leaves plucked from the stem
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 12 large rice paper sheets
- 1Add rice noodles to a pot of boiling water and cook until tender apprx 6-7 minutes, drain and rinse well to prevent sticking.
- 2Fill a bowl large enough to slide a wrapper into with warm water.
- 3dip one wrapper at a time into the warm water for apprx 30 seconds or until soft and pliable.
- 4Make each roll when you remove the wrapper from the water.
- 5Lay the wrapper on a flat surface, place 2-4 basil leaves side by side about 2" from an edge of the wrapper,lay 4-5 shrimp halves on the basil leaves, add a small amount of pork,then some noodles, cilantro& mint.
- 6portion the ingredients so you will have even amounts for all your rolls.
- 7Starting at the filling end roll over one end of the wrapper, fold in the ends and continue to roll.
- 8Do a nice tight roll but be careful not to tear.
- 9The roll should be apprx 1"-1 1/2" thick.
- 10Warm the sauce ingredients, bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- 11serve warm or room temperature with the rolls.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Pork & Basil Rice Paper Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 626.8
- Calories from Fat 162
- Total Fat 18.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 122.3 mg
- Sodium 1276.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 20.3 g
- Protein 32.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice paper sheets