Recipe by Hey Jude
This is a tasty, colorful dish that is nice for dinner guests. I like to serve this with garlic bread and a green salad. Recipe is from a Sunset cookbook.
Top Review by ChipotleChick
This was very tasty! Made exactly as directed and served it with french bread. I may make it with saffron next time though, as I wasn't too crazy about the turmeric flavor.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb raw large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup long-grain raw white rice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen tiny peas, thawed
- chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a deep, heavy 4-5 quart pan over medium heat; add shrimp and cook, stirring, until almost opaque throughout, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Lift out and set aside (shrimp will get more cooking time later).
- Pour pan juices into a 1-quart measuring cup; add clam juice and enough water to make 2 1/2 cups, set aside.
- Melt remaining 1/4 cup butter in pan over medium heat; add onion and garlic, cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice and turmeric; cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes, add celery, salt, pepper and clam juice mixture.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is almost tender to bite, about 15 minutes.
- With a fork, lightly mix tomatoes and peas into rice; scatter shrimp over top, cover and continue to cook until rice is tender to bite and liquid is absorbed, about 10 more minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley.