Recipe by Scoutie
I suppose you could cheat on this crust, but it is very easy to make, it's simply pressed into a deep-dish pie plate, no rollling out of the dough is needed. Judging from the other reviews on myrecipes.com, I advise to use a glass pie pan. It also might take more than 40 minutes to set up. Like a quiche, I can imagine adding onions, shrooms, broccoli, etc..., possibilites are endless. This also warms up well for lunch the next day. Adapted from Cooking Light, June 2005. Posted for ZWT6.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup semolina or 1⁄4 cup pasta flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- cooking spray
- 12 ounces uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup havarti cheese or 1⁄2 cup Fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare pastry, lightly spoon 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour and semolina flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Combine flours, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl; cut in butter and shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Combine ice water and vinegar in a small bowl.
- Add water mixture to flour mixture; toss with a fork until mixture is well combined (mixture will be crumbly and will not form a ball).
- Press mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375° for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven; cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling:
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add the shrimp; cook 1 minute or until shrimp turn pink. Remove from heat.
- Combine cream cheese and egg in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended.
- Add 2 teaspoons flour; beat 1 more minute, beat in milk.
- Add shrimp, Havarti cheese, dill, and 1/8 teaspoon salt, stirring well.
- Pour shrimp mixture into prepared crust.
- Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes before serving.