Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A very easy, creamy pasta that is surprisingly low in fat. I was trying to use fresh green peas and shrimp. This is what resulted...
- 1⁄2 lb orzo pasta
- 1 large sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 lb shrimp, cooked and cleaned
- 1⁄2 lb peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb lowfat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- salt and pepper, to taste
- parmesan cheese (to garnish)
- Set water on to boil for the orzo.
- Chop onion and garlic finely and saute in a bit of olive oil til translucent.
- Cook orzo to package directions, add peas the last couple of minutes of cooking.
- Drain and return to pot. Place on burner on low heat. Add cooked shrimp and stir.
- Add half-and-half, stir in cheese, onion/garlic and fresh basil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Any leftovers freeze quite well. This also makes a nice side dish.
hipQuest, Wow, what subtle delicious flavors! I served this dish twice, once with the shrimp which I first sauteed in butter and Creole seasoning and once without the shrimp as a side dish with grilled Cornish game hens. My favorite was without the shrimp because the flavor of the basil and cream is so delicate it's almost a shame to add anything because it's perfect. But DH liked it with the spicy sauteed shrimp! Hence the 5+stars. Made with fat free half&half and used a 1/2 cup wine which I cooked down before adding the cream and added Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Made and reviewed for Fall PAC 2008.