Abby Falck's Note:
This is NOT an authentic Pad Thai recipe, but it's a delicious version of American Pad Thai. Based on Cook's Illustrated's Pad Thai with some additions from SheSimmers.com. It comes together VERY quickly once you start cooking, so make sure all your ingredients are prepared in advance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons palm sugar, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste in oil (optional)
- 1 -2 bird's eye chile, seeded and minced
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 8 ounces medium-width dried flat rice noodles
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots or 3 tablespoons onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 ounces bean sprouts
- 1/3 cup chopped unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1In a large bowl or pot, soak the noodles in hot tap water until they are just pliable enough to wrap around your fingers, about 15-20 minutes. Drain. While they soak --
- 2In a small bowl, stir together sauce ingredients until sugar is dissolved.
- 3In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp of the oil over high heat until shimmering.
- 4Add noodles and sauce. Stir constantly with tongs until noodles have softened, about 30-45 seconds.
- 5Push noodles to one side of the pan. Add the other 2 Tbsp oil, garlic, onion, and shrimp.
- 6Cook until shrimp are just starting to turn opaque, about 30 seconds, then stir noodles and shrimp mixture together and move everything to the outside of the pan, leaving a well in the center.
- 7Add the eggs to the center well, allow to cook undisturbed until starting to solidify, then break into pieces with your tongs and mix together with the noodles and shrimp.
- 8Once the eggs and shrimp are fully, but just barely, cooked, turn off the heat and stir in the bean sprouts, peanuts, scallions and cilantro.
Browse Our Top Thai Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Pad Thai
Serving Size: 1 (354 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 582.9
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 236.2 mg
- Sodium 1850.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 24.9 g