I have made this using the packaged crab meat and have also made this using both crab and small shrimp, this makes a wonderful lower fat salad to serve for a brunch get together :)
- 2 lbs cooked small shrimp or 2 lbs crab
- coarsley shredded lettuce leaf
- chopped tomato
- 4 -8 hard-boiled eggs
- 4 large lemon wedges
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise (or use full-fat)
- 1⁄4 cup bottled chili sauce
- 1 finely minced green onion (or 1/4 cup scallion)
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced green olives
- 2 -4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- salt and pepper
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together and season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare four large bowls.
- Divide the shredded lettuce in the bowls.
- Divide and top with seafood, then place egg wedges and tomatoes around the seafood, with a lemon wedge.
- Pass the dressing on the side.
I agree with the other reviewers that this is indeed a tasty salad. But nutritionally, it's atrocious! Way too many calories, too much fat, sodium and cholesterol. To lower the cholesterol and fat, I would suggest skipping the hard boiled egg altogether, and substituting the mayo with yogurt. The dressing doesn't need any additional salt, only some pepper, and omit the olives. Chopped celery (as another reviewer suggested) can be added for crunch and color.
This is a really nice Louis recipe. I used large shrimp and made as directed but left out the olives as I'm not a big fan. Very simple to make and it made a great lunch. Thanks Kitten for another winner. Made for Think Pink.
What a great recipe for a hot summer day. I made this using large jumbo shrimp and served on a bed of romaine lettuce. I added just a small bit of celery it was fabulous.