Recipe by Hey Jude
This is so easy to prepare and the taste is incredible. I've adapted this recipe from More Long-life Chinese Cooking From Madame Wong and though it calls for deep-frying the shrimp, or chicken, I usually stir-fry it to make it easier and more healthy. I LOVE this recipe!
Top Review by chia
after a long busy day it was late, i was tired and everyone wanted to know what we were having for dinner. i had planned to make this tonight, but much earlier, and by now i didn't want to cook. but- how silly, in 10 minutes i/we had a fabulous dinner. i made white rice in the steamer, then started this last night i had cleaned the shrimp and made a stock with 3 lbs of shells and tails. so i used 1/4 shrimp stock in place of the chicken broth. i stir fried everything in a hot wok with peanut oil, i also used rice wine vinegar instead of red wine for a more authentic flavor-- this was great, a bit spicy for some, but we loved it! thanks for a great recipe, i will be making this often, but maybe next time i'll only use 8 thai bird chiles, dd counted :)
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined or 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 -4 cups oil, for deep-frying
- 1⁄2 cup cashews, i use regular roasted salted cashews for this recipe
- 10 whole dried red chilies
- 1 green onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 onion, in large dice
- 1 green pepper, in large dice
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in
- 2 teaspoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Mix shrimp with cornstarch.
- Heat oil*.
- Deep-fry shrimp (or chicken) until color changes.
- Deep-fry cashews in large strainer until light brown (about 30 seconds).
- Drain, Remove.
- Reheat 2 T.
- oil in wok.
- Fry chilies until dark brown.
- Add scallion and garlic.
- Stir-fry 30 seconds.
- Add onion, stir-fry 1 minute.
- Add green pepper, stir-fry 30 seconds more.
- Remove chilies.
- Pour in sauce, bring to a boil.
- Add shrimp (or chicken) and nuts.
- Mix until shrimp (or chicken) and nuts are glazed.
- Removed to serving platter.
- Serve over rice.
- *You don't HAVE to deep-fry the shrimp and cashews, I usually stir-fry them in 1 T.
- oil* I use peanut oil for this recipe.