1/3 Photos of Shrimp-Onion Crostini With Almond-Parsley Pesto
Russell Cooks's Note:
These crostinis are really festive looking, a satisfying appetizer or side using typical italian flavors and commonly found ingredients. Note that the ingredient measures are approximations, I made this on a whim and didn't measure anything.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Make the pesto (this can be done ahead): Stick a palmful of almonds, a small handful of parsley, and a heart attack-inducing amount of salt in a food processer until it's nice and crumbly (don't worry about the salt, the pesto will be eaten in small portions!) Beat together about a tablespoon of softened butter with a couple glugs of olive oil until the butter floats around in little clumps. Mix oil mixture and almond/parsley mixture together and add freshly ground pepper. Taste it because it probably needs more salt, then plastic-wrap your container and put it in the fridge for later or continue the recipe.
- 2Preheat the broiler.
- 3If you're using fresh shrimp, shell and take the yucky stuff out, butterfly, then cook, saute, or grill with olive oil and black pepper. If using pre-cooked shrimp, thaw.
- 4Thinly slice the onion, and preserve the circle shape while saute-ing gently in oil just until tender, ~5 minutes.
- 5Slice the bread 1-1.5 inches thick and lay out on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with olive oil.
- 6Thinly slice tomatoes, cover each crostini with one layer (either one slice from a big tomato or three slices from a grape tomato).
- 7Place a slice of the onion on top of each tomato, lay one (jumbo) or two (small) shrimp on top of the onion. Sprinkle chopped green onion over the tops.
- 8Broil until the bread is nice and toasty, about 10 minutes.
- 9Spoon a small amount of pesto onto each crostini, and serve.
- 10For bonus points, sprinkle with mozerella cheese!
Browse Our Top European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp-Onion Crostini With Almond-Parsley Pesto
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 522.1
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 254.2 mg
- Sodium 1624.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 37.1 g