Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
These crostinis are really festive looking, a satisfying appetizer or side using typical italian flavors and commonly found ingredients. Note that the ingredient measures are approximations, I made this on a whim and didn't measure anything.
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, I used pre-cooked but fresh is fine
- 1⁄2 loaf Italian bread, day old is fine
- plenty olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 green onion
- 4 grape tomatoes or 1 tomatoes
- fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup almonds
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon extra-light vegetable oil spread
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Make the pesto (this can be done ahead): Stick a palmful of almonds, a small handful of parsley, and a heart attack-inducing amount of salt in a food processer until it's nice and crumbly (don't worry about the salt, the pesto will be eaten in small portions!) Beat together about a tablespoon of softened butter with a couple glugs of olive oil until the butter floats around in little clumps. Mix oil mixture and almond/parsley mixture together and add freshly ground pepper. Taste it because it probably needs more salt, then plastic-wrap your container and put it in the fridge for later or continue the recipe.
- Preheat the broiler.
- If you're using fresh shrimp, shell and take the yucky stuff out, butterfly, then cook, saute, or grill with olive oil and black pepper. If using pre-cooked shrimp, thaw.
- Thinly slice the onion, and preserve the circle shape while saute-ing gently in oil just until tender, ~5 minutes.
- Slice the bread 1-1.5 inches thick and lay out on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with olive oil.
- Thinly slice tomatoes, cover each crostini with one layer (either one slice from a big tomato or three slices from a grape tomato).
- Place a slice of the onion on top of each tomato, lay one (jumbo) or two (small) shrimp on top of the onion. Sprinkle chopped green onion over the tops.
- Broil until the bread is nice and toasty, about 10 minutes.
- Spoon a small amount of pesto onto each crostini, and serve.
- For bonus points, sprinkle with mozerella cheese!