Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
An easy soup this is delicious for lunch or a light dinner.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 12 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and discarded,caps thinly sliced
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 small napa cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup dry sake
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 6 cups fish stock (or 4 c. vegetable stock and 2 c. clam juice)
- 1 lb small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 lb udon noodles or 1⁄2 lb flat egg noodles, cooked according to package directions,drained and rinsed
- 2 green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Let the oil heat in a big soup pot, over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and mushrooms; saute and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the snow peas and cabbage; toss for about 10-15 seconds.
- Add the sake; cook and stir freqently for 2 minutes (the cabbage should wilt and give off liquid).
- Add in the soy sauce and stock; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium-low; cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium; add in shrimp; cook for about 3 minutes or until pink.
- Add in the noodles and scallions; cook for 2 minutes or so, until the noodles are heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve immediately.
- **Analternative: instead of soy sauce, add 2 teaspoons fish sauce and 1 teaspoon chili oil with the stock.