Recipe by Lakerdog2
From Everyday with Rachael Ray.
Top Review by jennyrumgirl
I must admit, Im not a Racheal Ray fan. But when my mom gave me her copy of Everyday with racheal ray I stumbled upon this recipe. I had all the ingredients so I made it tonight. My fiance said it was one of the best dishes I've ever made. The only changes I made were adding just a touch of Old Bay seasoning to add more kick and I added steamed peas to our brown rice. DELICIOUS!!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, cleaned and cut into thirds, shells reserved
- 1 1⁄2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice as directed, cover to keep warm.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tsps butter over medium heat. Add the shrimp shells and cook, stirring until crisp, about 5 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk the milk with the cornstarch, then whisk into the shrimp shells. Bring to a simmer, whisking, then cook for 1 minute. Strain the mixture into a bowl, pressing the shrimp shells to get all the liquid, discard the shells. Wash and dry the saucepan.
- In the saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tsps butter over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk mixture and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 1 minute.
- Stir in the shrimp and sherry and cook, stirring until the shrimp is firm, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, stir in chives.