1/1 Photo of Shrimp Mozambique, (Camarao Mozambique)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped coriander (or flat leaf parsley)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron, toasted, crushed and soaked in 1 tbsp warm water for 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup red wine or 1/2 cup light beer
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons hot chili sauce (or generous pinch crushed red pepper)
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (26-30 count)
- 1Melt butter in a 3-quart pot over medium-low heart.
- 2Toss in onion and fry until lightly golden.
- 3Pour in the water followed by garlic, cilantro, turmeric, and saffron water.
- 4Cover and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, allowing the essence of the spices and herbs to mingle.
- 5Pour in the red wine or beer with the lemon juice. Stir.
- 6Cover and raise heat to medium-high and bring the sauce to boil.
- 7Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 minutes.
- 8Toss in the shrimp, hot peppers or chili sauce if using and give them a turn in the sauce.
- 9Cook for three minutes over medium-low until the shrimp are just curled tender and turned pink.
- 10Spoon the shrimp into bowls and serve with plenty of crusty bread to dip in the flavourful sauce. (This can also be served over rice!).
Browse Our Top South African Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All South African Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Mozambique, (Camarao Mozambique)
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.3
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 173.4 mg
- Sodium 1972.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 16.1 g