Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Mac and cheese goes upscale in this deliciously cheesy variation "The shrimp gives a unique twist to this popular standard".
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 lb uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the egg, cream and butter; set aside. Drain macaroni. Add the Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, garlic, salt, pepper and reserved egg mixture; toss to coat. Stir in shrimp and spinach.
- 2. Transfer to a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350* for 20-25 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and cheese is melted.
- Buying and Cooking Shrimp:.
- Shrimp are available fresh or frozen (raw or cooked, peeled or in the shell) or canned. Shrimp in the shell (fresh or frozen) are available in different varieties and sizes (medium, large, extra large, jumbo). Uncooked shrimp will have shells that range in color from gray or brown to pink or red. Fresh shrimp should have a firm texture with a mild odor.To cook raw shrimp in water, add 1 pound shrimp (with or without shells) and 1 teaspoon salt to 3 quarts boiling water. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1-3 minutes or until the shrimp turns pink and curls. Watch closely to avoid overcooking - the meat of uncooked shrimp will turn from translucent when raw to pink and opaque when cooked. Drain immediately. Serve warm or chilled.