Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
I had some shrimp and other various items in the pantry, and the result was this recipe. My family loved it, which is my best indicator of whether or not it's worth making again. Don't be afraid to add other ingredients if that's what you have on hand.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 purple onion, diced
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons instant bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 lb raw shrimp, quartered
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- 10 ounces broccoli
- 10 ounces cauliflower
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Spray large baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Start large pot of water to boil for elbow macaroni. Cook according to package directions. Drain and pour into baking dish.
- Steam broccoli and cauliflower for 8 minutes. Drain and add to baking dish.
- Saute onions and mushrooms in olive oil until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and add to baking dish.
- Add shrimp to sauce pan and saute until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add garlic at the very end for most robust flavor. Add to baking dish.
- For cheese sauce, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour.
- Cook flour until just browned. Do not overcook.
- Add water and stir with a whisk.
- Add bouillon mix.
- Add cream cheese and cheddar cheese in small amounts, stirring frequently. Do not allow to boil.
- Pour cheese sauce over ingredients in baking dish. Stir until everything is well-coated.
- Sprinkle top with bread crumbs.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 F for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
Thumbs up from the husband. Delish. I omitted the onion (personal preference) and added the shrimp in raw, since extra cooking time can make them rather rubbery. Worked out fine. I did however saute the mushrooms in the butter and garlic. :)