Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Tasty and delicious!
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 18 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine (I use vermouth)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
- Pour broth into a pot large enough to hold the shrimp and bring to a boil over high heat. Add shrimp and poach at a simmer, lowering heat if needed, until firm and pink, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp with a slotted spoon and set them aside on a plate.
- Keep the broth simmering over low heat.
- Heat olive oil and melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat until hot, but not smoking.
- Add onion and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add wine, bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until nearly all of the wine has evaporated.
- Add rice and ladle 1 cup of summer broth into rice and cook, stirring, until it is nearly absorbed.
- Continue to add broth in 1/4 cup increments, stirring rice constantly.
- When you are down to the last 2 cups or so, add the broth in smaller increments until the rice is softened but still a bit al dente. (add or delete broth as needed). This step should take about 18 minutes.
- Stir in 1 Tblsp. lemon zest and 1 Tbslp. lemon juice. Taste and adjust with additional zest or juice as needed until the risotto attains a nice, bright flavor.
- Stir in the reserved shrimp, tarragon and remaining 2 Tbslp butter.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste & serve!