Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 22 mins
Cook 39 mins
Sweet and spicy shrimp with pasta....YUMMY!! I haven't tried this one yet, because I just found it in my Southern Living Cookbook, but my parents live in Lafayette, Louisiana so I feel obligated. OH and it sounds really good too!
- 1 1⁄4 lbs medium-sized shrimp, unpeeled
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 2 medium red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- hot cooked linguine
- Peel shrimp, reserving the shells. Devein shrimp if desired, and set aside.
- Combine the shrimp shells, 2 cups water, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minute.
- Pour the stock through a strainer into a bowl and discard the shells. Set aside 1/4 cup shrimp stock for other uses, if desired.
- Cook shrimp in 1 Tbs butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, 3 min or until shrimp turn pink.
- Remove shrimp from pan, set aside and keep warm.
- Cook the bell pepper, onion and jalapeno in remaining 1 Tbs butter in pan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly for 5 min or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, tomato, brown sugar, red pepper, white pepper, and garlic; cook for 5 min, stirring occasionally.
- Add the reserved 1/4 cup shrimp stock and cook for 5 min, stirring occasionally.
- Add the shrimp and cook until mixture is thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over linguine.
Excellent pasta dish! I cooked the shells in my pressure cooker (10 min) and made some flavorful stock! I used 2 lbs medium shrimp but stayed with the recipe. I used very large tomatoes (3) and didn't bother seeding them. My husband and father in law enjoyed this very much, too! Thanks SkinnieMinnie, for posting. Roxygirl