Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another tasty light recipe. I skip making the wild rice and buy the pre-packaged stuff to save time and money, and it works fine.
For the rice
- 1⁄4 cup millet rice
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup wild rice
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
For the shrimp kebabs
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 2 minced cloved garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 16 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 large onion, cut into 16 chunks
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into twelve 2 inch cubes
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into twelve 2 inch cubes
- Put just the millet rice in a medium frying pan and saute about 2 minutes over medium, stirring constantly, until toasted.
- Preheat a medium saucepan for 1 minute on medium, and spray 3 times with cooking spray.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, and chopped bell pepper.
- Saute 3 minutes or until vegetables are limp.
- Add the rice, wild rice, and brown rice.
- Add chicken stock and soy sauce, stir and bring to a boil over high.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine coconut milk, chile paset, garlic, coriander, and lime zest in a mixing bowl and whisk well.
- Add the shrimp, mushrooms, onion, tomatoes, peppers, and mushrooms, tossing to coat.
- Cover and marinate for 30 minutes in refrigerator.
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- On each 8 small skewers (if using wooden ones, soak in warm water 10 minutes before threading to avoid charring), thread 2 pieces shrimp, 2 onion chunks, 2 tomatoes, 2 mushrooms, and 3 bell pepper cubes, alternating ingredients so that bell peppers are at both ends.
- Grill or broil 4 minutes, turn and broil another 4-6 minutes or until shrimp are cooked and vegetables slightly charred.
- Fluff the rice and divide it among 4 plates, place 2 skewers on top of each.