Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
This is a wonderful dish for summer cookouts. It is colorful and low in fat. Serve with fresh baked bread for a wonderful meal.
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crused red pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces jicama, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice
- 4 cups torn salad greens (I use Spring Mix because it is so colorful.)
- In a large bowl, mix orange peel, orange juice, oil, salt, red pepper and garlic.
- Measure out 1/3 cup of orange juice mixture and reserve; cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Pour remaining marinade over vegetables and shrimp tossing to mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Alternate the shrimp, vegetables and pineapple on eight 10-inch skewers.
- Cook over medium hot coals or gas grill until shrimp is pink, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve on bed of salad greens.
This made a lovely main dish salad for a summer meal. I cooked the shrimp on a foreman grill to make things even easier. The only changes I made were to sub purple onion on the skewers and thinly slice the jicamia and mix into the greens. (I prefer it raw.) I think next time I might garnish with mandrian oranges to better reflect the orange in the marinade. It is spicy, but the heat level was okay for us. Thanks Paula!
Good and easy to prepare and great for a light supper. I used a bit more of the shrimp and some of the other ingredients making 10 skewers which we all enjoyed. Next time I will decrease the amout of red pepper just a bit though. Thanks for sharing!