Recipe by PaulaG
This is a wonderful dish for summer cookouts. It is colorful and low in fat. Serve with fresh baked bread for a wonderful meal.
Top Review by Susie D
This made a lovely main dish salad for a summer meal. I cooked the shrimp on a foreman grill to make things even easier. The only changes I made were to sub purple onion on the skewers and thinly slice the jicamia and mix into the greens. (I prefer it raw.) I think next time I might garnish with mandrian oranges to better reflect the orange in the marinade. It is spicy, but the heat level was okay for us. Thanks Paula!
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crused red pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces jicama, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice
- 4 cups torn salad greens (I use Spring Mix because it is so colorful.)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix orange peel, orange juice, oil, salt, red pepper and garlic.
- Measure out 1/3 cup of orange juice mixture and reserve; cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Pour remaining marinade over vegetables and shrimp tossing to mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Alternate the shrimp, vegetables and pineapple on eight 10-inch skewers.
- Cook over medium hot coals or gas grill until shrimp is pink, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve on bed of salad greens.