This is a filling and delicious dinner. Quinoa pack more calories per cup than any grain, therefore it is great for the mountaineer! I got this recipe for a book called "Backpack Gourmet" Had it last summer and it was great! It saves lots of money compared to commercially prepared just add water camping food, and it tastes better too! (Don't forget the Tabasco, and remember to bring salt and pepper packets).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa (rinsed and drained)
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (minced)
- 1 bell pepper (minced)
- 10 mixed mushrooms (fresh, minced)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can small white beans, drained
- 8 ounces shrimp (uncooked, shelled, deveined, minced)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme (minced, or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1Place quinoa (rinsed and drained) and 2 3/4 water in saucepan.
- 2Bring to a boil; then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender and translucent. Set aside.
- 3Heat a dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add: 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- 4When the oil is hot, add and stir for 10 minutes: 1 onion (minced), 1 bell pepper (minced), and 10 mushrooms (fresh, minced).
- 5Stir in, bring to a boil, then simmer 5 minutes longer: 1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes, 1 (15oz) can white beans (drained), 8 oz uncooked, shelled, deveined shrimp, (minced), 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- 6Add the quinoa to the shrimp mixture and mix.
- 7Spread on covered dehydrator trays and dehydrate for 6 hours at 145 degrees.
- 8To rehydrate, cover with water just above level of food in pot, boil, stir, and serve.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Jambalaya With Quinoa
Serving Size: 1 (653 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 564.0
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 119.4 mg
- Sodium 1104.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.4 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 33.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: